Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Low-Carbohydrate Bagels

One of my favorite blogs to read is Delighted Momma. Lindsay, the author of the blog is a great example of someone living a healthy, vibrant life with Type 1 Diabetes and a family of her own. I love trying out all her low-carb recipes, like this recipe for low-carb bagels. I am so excited about how they turned out, these are awesome.  I made a few modifications to the recipe, and have included my version below. Each bagel has a total of 18 g of carbohydrate and 13 g of dietary fiber, making each one only 5 g net carbohydrates...that's pretty darn good.


Trying hard to make my solid coconut oil liquid in my very cold kitchen.




Low-Carbohydrate Bagels
Adapted from Delighted Momma (original recipe found here)
makes 5 bagels

1 cup flax seed meal
3/4 cup almond meal
2 T coconut flour
2 T So Delicious Greek style coconut yogurt, plain
2 eggs 
2 T coconut oil
3 T water





Combine the wet ingredients. Make sure your coconut oil is liquid, unlike mine pictured above. This just helps the wet mixture combine evenly. Combine the dry ingredients. Then combine the wet and the dry. Simple enough. The hardest part about this recipe is forming the bagels. I made sort of fat stumpy snake shapes and then formed those into a bagel shape. Then you can use the back of a spoon to smooth your bagels out and make them pretty. I topped mine with an asian spice blend and that worked really well. These bagels are sort of naturally sweet tasting so a savory topping is a great choice. Bake these at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. I put mine on parchment paper.

Uncooked bagels



These stay together really well and slice even better. Additionally, these are best enjoyed straight from the oven (check out that steam...yummy). My favorite way to enjoy one of these is with avocado, tomato and mustard.

Fresh out of the oven



























No comments :

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!